• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ASB Rules

Mmm, no, more like is it possible to use an attack such as, say, Psychic, and order the Substitute to go into a tunnel in the same action, even if the master Pokemon doesn't go into the tunnel itself?

Why yes I suck at expressing myself verbally :I
Okay, that's what I thought you were asking, but I guess I misinterpreted where you were going with the question. What I was trying to get at is that you can't order your substitute to do anything. It does not understand commands either from its maker or from its maker's trainer. It will follow its maker around or, if separated from it, do its best to get near to it again, but it can't be directed; it acts out of "instinct."

So no, a pokémon can't command its substitute to go somewhere without going there itself and having the substitute passively follow.

how long is a round intended to take? I want to do some math for my next unusable arena.
Unfortunately round length varies a great deal based on what actions the pokémon take in it. A round with a bunch of quick attacks or basic moves like scratch or tackle will naturally be much shorter than one where attacks that require significant (relatively speaking) charge up time get thrown around, e.g. solarbeam, superpower.

I would guess that rounds range from around 15 seconds to 5 minutes (if both pokémon did nothing but chill) in length. The majority probably fall in the range of 45 seconds to a minute fifteen.

Last edited:
Okay, then... Is it possible to maneuver Double Team clones how you please? And is it possible to maneuver them in the same action as an attack? this is probably badly worded but aaaa

Where do I post if the competitor has failed to post within the time limit and I would like to bring the ref's attention towards a DQ? Or something.

I'm fairly certain I tried that, I should've mentioned that, and failed to get a response. Anyway the matters cleared now, thanks.

Okay, then... Is it possible to maneuver Double Team clones how you please? And is it possible to maneuver them in the same action as an attack? this is probably badly worded but aaaa
Ugh, people try doing this all the time during contests. Clones are a mirror of your pokémon; they do what it does. You can control the positioning of your clones to some extent by choosing how your pokémon will run around to create them (e.g. they can set them up in a straight line or in a ring around the enemy). Otherwise, if your pokémon is moving around, it can have its clones fan out or close in or generally change position. However, if your pokémon is going to be standing around using bulk up or whatever, its clones will not move. They will appear to be standing around and using bulk up because they are simply mirror images of your pokémon. So if your pokémon is going to be running around, yes, for as long as they're moving, they can control the trajectory of their clones. As soon as they stop traveling, though, their clones will do so as well.

Most probably the wrong thread but.
Can a Pokémon damage its own Substitute (if commanded to attack it)?
Yes.

More Double Team Thoughts... Can things like Dark Pulse or Surf hit through it, as they are waves that encompasse the entire arena? What about mind-based attacks like Psychic?

Widespread attacks will wipe out clones. Psychic, no, as it has to be turned on a particular clone and there's no way to tell whether or not one is real until you're actually trying to wrap your mind around it.

is there a specific reason why a signature must have a usage gap, instead of some other arbitrary thematically appropriate restriction, such as "can only be used four times because that's the maximum amount of tea that will fit in a bag"?

If a Pokémon needs experience to evolve the first time, and an item the second, what would happen to the evolved Pokémon if the experience points were somehow removed, after its item-evolution?

is there a specific reason why a signature must have a usage gap, instead of some other arbitrary thematically appropriate restriction, such as "can only be used four times because that's the maximum amount of tea that will fit in a bag"?
Usage gaps would more accurately be called "usage restrictions"; while they are almost always temporal, it is not required that they be as such. However, actual required gaps between uses are much preferred to other means of limiting usage, the idea being to prevent people from overwhelming the opponent with their signature move, e.g. having the opportunity to attack second and going for "Sig x 3." For powerful moves, an actual time gap is almost always required for this reason; for something weaker, you might be able to get away with some other form of restriction.

In the past there have certainly been moves with a usage gap of "twice per battle," but I don't recall whether there have been any that used a larger absolute number of uses per match.

If a Pokémon needs experience to evolve the first time, and an item the second, what would happen to the evolved Pokémon if the experience points were somehow removed, after its item-evolution?
The pokémon would return to its base form.

Taunt and Torment can be made into a combo, correct?
Yes.

Back
Top Bottom